Friday, February 20, 2009

A Moment to Vent

I look at my blog as a journal/platform/connection venue. Keeping that in mind, this post is more on the journal side of things and may not even make sense to anyone but me.
With all due respect to Forest Gump, I think he got it wrong. Life isn't like a box of chocolates. You see, if it were like a box of chocolates, whether or not you like the flavor, it would still be sweet. At times, life is anything but sweet. Lets face it, some moments in our lives are just plain bitter. Sometimes I think life is more like a roller coaster ride that we've been thrown head first into. We hang on for dear life as it goes screaming down the tracks. Life can take us so high we feel as though we could stroke the heavens. On the flip side, sometimes life takes us so low we have to brush the ash and brimstone from our feet before we can move on.

Usually though, to me, life feels like the weather channel. It can be sunny with blue skies, or partly cloudy with a chance of rain. Lately, it's felt like we just don't know what whether to expect. Life in general is sunny, but there are some clouds lurking in the background. Some days (and weeks) are just full of thunderstorms. This has been one of those weeks.

I think as a parent, particularly of a child with disabilities, we've learned to recognize very quickly when someone is offering us a great resource. On the other hand, we've also learned to recognize the Bull S#*!t. Our experience here in Colorado has been interesting. We're moving forward without the support of the Deaf Community and it's resources. (Corbin finally being able to hear made that an easy decision.) However, we feel like we're in limbo, and we don't have the support we had in New Mexico.

I'm not always this discouraged, but lately I've felt like I'm banging my head against a concrete wall! We went to the doctor on Tuesday. They made a scheduling mistake. So, we went back on Wednesday. The Doctor obviously knew nothing about what we are dealing with. Since she recognized that she had no answers, or even an inkling of where to point us, she referred us to another doctor. We won't be able to get into that doctor for another month. Argh!

Of course, that doctor isn't qualified to help us. She'll meet with us, and ultimately she'll have to refer us out to a specialist. In my experience, specialists can take months to see. So, this entire process will take about two or three months. As a parent, when I know my child is going to see a specialist, I can't help but feel hopeful that they can provide us with some answers. Usually my hope is dashed. They poke my son, invade his personal space, and in the end they have no answers. My question, is why can't the two family doctors confer for five minutes and point us in the direction we need to go? Why does everything have to be soo slow??? As a patient, and an advocate for my son, I view myself as the employer of these doctors. I pay them. I expect results. If they were employees in any other field, they would be fired.

It reminds me of when Corbin was still a baby. Our family doctor referred us to an ENT. The ENT spent awhile looking in Corbins ears only to say, "I can't see anything." My response was "Well if it's the cochlea, you wouldn't be able to see it would you?" He shrugged and brought another ENT in. They spent awhile chatting, throwing around medical ease, and finally turned to me and suggested surgery.

Unfortunately for them, I read alot. When Corbin was first diagnosed with a hearing loss, I read everything I could get my hands on. I learned all about the different types of hearing loss and all about the middle and inner ear. I understood their jargon, and I also saw the bottom line. They wanted to put my son through pain and suffering to satisfy their own curiosity. The surgery would solve nothing for Corbin whatsoever. My mother bear came out in her entirety that afternoon. I was less than polite in my response.

Yesterday we had a home visit from some of the therapists from the preschool. Two of the three preschool specialists who have been working with us are fantastic. They have given us great ideas. I've seen real progress stem from their suggestions.

However, one of the therapists just seems like she's not on the same page. She came yesterday in her head-to-toe matching outfit with coordinating jewelry. She pontificated for almost an hour and said absolutely nothing. Please don't get me wrong, I have no problem with women who dress nicely. It's just that after an hour, I felt like she had spent more time worrying about what she was going to wear to our meeting, than she did considering what she should say. I kept wanting to say "Cut the crap. You have no point. I know it. You know it. We are done here. " However, I didn't say that. I know enough about the system to understand that would get us nowhere.

I guess I'm a take the bull by the horns type of person. If there's a problem, I face it head on. I expect alot out of our early intervention team. I want them to research and find answers. I expect them to care as much as I do and put everything they've got into helping my son. I want them to help him. Unfortunately, the truth is that these people don't care as much as we do. They are missing a vital component. They don't love Corbin.

Perhaps I should lower my expectations in the resources available to us? I don't know. What I do know is that I'm losing my patience with these so called experts. Maybe I'm wrong to expect soo much.

As a family, we have lost time, money, and hope going through all of this. It makes me want to scream. Having vented thoroughly, I'm feeling a little better now. It's sunny outside, I'm going to take Corbin for a bike ride.

10 comments:

Holly said...

How frustrating for you guys! I think we all can understand and offer our sympathy when it comes to doctors and their expertise. I have more than often questioned their knowledge and experience as physicians.
But you know what is so great about this whole posting Maran, is that you and Brian are great parents to Corbin and have been so blessed by having him in your lives. Just by reading this, your actions have spoken loud and clear about the love you have for him. You have always faced challenges head on in your life and I think I know enough about you to know that no doctor will ever trump the intuition and knowledge of you! I hope that you can find someone out there to help keep Corbin moving forward, if not I know you will.
By the way, thanks for your comments I enjoy reading them and staying connected.

Courtney said...

Oh, that is really no fun! I love weather analogy. I totally laughed when I read the specialist thing, why would you be going to a specialist unless you wanted help with a real need and you wanted that help before the Savior comes again. Seriously! We had a hard time in the beginning with Camden getting him the right help. I swear it wasted a whole 6 months and I had to find it myself. Since then he has had an amazing speech therapist. I love them with my whole heart. If I think about it too much I will totally cry. T

Maran said...

Thanks guys. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my frustration. Courtney, after talking with several parents of kids with disabilities, I've found that the parents are usually the ones who have to research and find the answers. I just don't get it. What are we paying these people for?

TJ said...

Maran-
I didn't know your son was deaf...we must (I must) really be out of touch! I have a friend who serves on our advisory council @UVU whose son is deaf. He is an AMAZING kid. He has a cochlear implant (I would assume with your research you know what that is???) and he is doing SOO well. His dad actually started a foundation for the hard of hearing and stuff and is such a GREAT resource. If you want me to I can try to get you two in touch, he is SUPER nice and a major advocate for this sort of thing and may have some advice or what not....let me know.

Maran said...

Corbin was born hard of hearing. Although, he hears fine now. Until last year he wore a hearing aid. However, his hearing loss was misdiagnosed. Originally they said it was the inner ear, but actaully it was the middle ear. It's very uncommon for bone conduction to repair itself, but it can happen. In Corbins case it did. So, my son who couldn't hear very well for 4 years, now hears fine. (He's only 5DB outside of normal.) It's funny how we think of miracles. We don't stop to consider the flip side.

For example, the blind man whose vision was fixed by Christ. I wonder if sometimes he closed his eyes and wished he didn't see. It's very difficult to go from not having something to having it. The transition for Corbin has been a little rough.

Now though, we are seeing different things happen. He has various sensitivities (auditory and visual.) We don't know if these are symptoms of the brain learning to compensate for the sudden hearing, or if they are problems which were always there, but masked by the hearing loss. Since he can hear now, we no longer have the support of the Deaf Community and the resources the School for the Deaf in New Mexico offered us. (Which of course makes sense.) But they were a great source of help and advocacy for us. Now, since we don't really know what the problem is, we don't have the advocacy of whatever support groups are available for our son. We're not sure if this is possible Aspergers Syndrome or if it's Sensory Integration Disorder. We just have to wait and find out.

Regina said...

Oh man! I am just beginning in this whole realm of intervention! But I feel your pain! I have learned already in the almost 2 years that Jayden has been with us is this: As parents WE are their advocates!! WE are the ones who will make sure they get the services they need! It is so very frustrating to deal with the whole system! And I wonder sometimes myself "and my tax dollars are paying for you???" I am just as frustrated as you are! I am so irritated with PT, speech, OT!! I want to scream and pull my hair out! Just don't give up! You will find someone who will listen! And don't give up on finding a great doctor. They are out there! Jayden would never have gotten so sick if it weren't for a doctor that didn't do anything about a murmur he heard on a down syndrome baby!! Hello!! A down syndrome baby with a murmur needs an echo! No questions! He just didn't feel the need to follow up! And look where it got us?? In the PICU for 2 months while my baby fought for his life. We had enough against this certain doctor we could have had a big malpractice lawsuit. But we decided not to. We were just glad Jayden made it and we found a great doctor who will check up on all the little things. And the sad thing is this certain doctor who used to see Jayden is LDS! I am hoping that you will find a doctor soon, who will listen to you and be a great doctor for Corbin.

Adrienne said...

Sorry you are getting nowhere with the docs. Does your insurance require a referral to see a specialist? When my kids have needed a specialist I just ask the Family doctor for a referral and skip the whole going to them phase. If your family doctor won't do that maybe time to find a new family doctor. If possible I would recommend going to a children's hospital, either here in Denver or up in SLC, the difference is astonishing. Sorry you have to deal with this. I hope you find out what can help him, don't give up, I know you won't.

The Haley Family said...

Oh the frustration you must be feeling. Do not give up and do not expect anything except the best for Corbin. You know best what he needs and what his strengths and weaknesses are. Heavenly Father also knows and will help guide you to the write physician. You are an amazing parent!

wvaun said...

Maranee, you ARE an Amazing parent, just like you are an amazing person. You always have been! Just like Dad told you yesterday, we wish that we had had your help when we were raising our kids. You have been such a blessing to us and your entire family! We know that you will continue to pursue all possible avenues, and we are so happy that Corbin has you and Brian for his parents. We are sure that you will eventually find the help that you are looking for, and that Heavenly Father will continue to lend his help, as in the past. We're so proud of you. Love, Mom

Rachel Clare said...

Maran, I'm so sorry to read this. I know that must be incredibly frustrating. Hang in there and know that our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. A big hug for Corbin! (Elias's 5th b-day party is Saturday and he asked if Corbin could come...) :(