I just had to share this email that I was sent by Lamaze International. It's really awful that we live in such a progressive country,and yet as a collective, we are so backwards about our birth practises. I don't understand why so many birthing women do not educate themselves or advocate for their own health! I wish women would at least take the time to understand why they are undergoing different medical procedures surrounding their births. It is a good thing to have knowledge, not only for ourselves, but for our babies! If more women would equip themselves with knowledge going into their birth experiences,we would see a drastic reduction in Cesarean birth, artificial induction, AROM, and other practises which should be reserved only for special circumstances. Also, I speculate that overall birth satisfaction amongst new mothers would probably skyrocket. Whew! Now having gotten that off my chest,here is what Lamaze International had to say:
Best Practices in Maternity Care Not Widely Used in the United States
WASHINGTON (January 7, 2009)—Despite best evidence, health care providers continue to perform routine procedures during labor and birth that often are unnecessary and can have harmful results for mothers and babies. The Centers for Disease Control’s (CDC) most recent release of birth statistics reveals that the rate of cesarean surgery, for example, is on the rise to 31.1% of all births—50% greater than data from 1996. This information comes on the heels of The Milbank Report’s Evidence-Based Maternity Care, which confirms that beneficial, evidence-based maternity care practices are underused in the U.S. health care system.
Research indicates that routinely used procedures, such as continuous electronic fetal monitoring, labor induction for low-risk women and cesarean surgery, have not improved health outcomes for women and, in fact, can cause harm. In contrast, care practices that support a healthy labor and birth are unavailable to or underused with the majority of women in the United States.
Beneficial care practices outlined by Evidence-Based Maternity Care, a report produced by a collaboration of Childbirth Connection, the Reforming States Group and the Milbank Memorial Fund, could have a positive impact on the quality of maternity care if widely implemented throughout the United States. Suggested practices include to:
Let labor begin on its own.
Walk, move around, and change positions throughout labor.
Bring a loved one, friend, or doula to support you
Avoid interventions that are not medically necessary
Choose the most comfortable position to give birth and follow your body’s urges to push
Keep your baby with you – it's best for you, your baby and breastfeeding.
“Lamaze is alarmed by the current rate of cesarean surgery, and furthermore, by the overall poor adherence to the beneficial practices outlined above in much of the maternity care systems in the United States,” says Lamaze International President Pam Spry, PhD, CNM, FACNM, LCCE. “We are continuing to work to provide women and care providers with evidence-based information to improve the quality of care.”
Lamaze International has developed six care practice papers that are supported by research studies and represent “gold-standard” maternity care. When adopted, these care practices have a profound effect—instilling confidence in the mother, and facilitating a natural process that results in an active, healthy baby. Each one of the Lamaze care practices is cited in the Evidence-Based Maternity Care report as being underused in the U.S. maternity care system.
Debra Bingham, MS, RN, DrPH(c), Chair of the Lamaze International Institute for Normal Birth says, “As with any drug, we need to be sure that women and their babies receive the right dose of medical interventions. In the United States we are giving too high a dose of cesarean sections and other medical interventions which are causing harm to women and their babies. Yet there are many countries where life saving medical interventions are under dosed which can also cause harm. Every woman and her baby needs and deserves the right dose of medical interventions during childbirth.”
The research is clear, when medically necessary, interventions, such as cesarean surgery, can be lifesaving procedures for both mother and baby, and worth the risks involved. However, in recent years, the rate of cesarean surgeries cause more risks than benefits for mothers and babies. Cesarean surgery is a major abdominal surgery, and carries both short-term risks, such as blood loss, clotting, infection and severe pain, and poses future risks, such as infertility and complications during future pregnancies such as percreta and accreta, which can lead to excessive bleeding, bladder injury, a hysterectomy, and maternal death. Cesarean surgery also increases harm to babies including women giving birth prior to full brain development, breathing problems, surgical injury and difficulties with breastfeeding.
For more information on the Six Care Practices that Support Normal Birth, finding a health care provider and how to give birth with confidence, visit www.lamaze.org.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Sing it sister! You know, even though we have different views on childbirth, (I prefer the epideral)I'm so impressed with your passion for the mother's health and education, while she is pregnant. Keep it up!
Jen, I really appreciate your comment. You summed up my point exactly. Women don't have to have the same birth philosophies. In fact, I think it's great that we have different views. I think it encourages open mindedness and learning. It's nice to know someone took the time to read this post.Thanks!
I definitely think that you have a strong and very valid point. I have often wondered to myself if too many medical interventions led to some of our very own problems. With my first, I was encouraged to be started and thus I know it put stress on my baby and my body and thus led to an c-section where my uterus was ripped clear in half. And while I was able to achieve pregnancy fairly easy with my second, my body seemed to not handle the stress of pregnancy as well as it did the first time and my second was born prematurely (5 weeks early). Here I believe that lack of medical intervention led to his early birth as my contractions were not even tried to be stopped by my doctor and she broke my water when they stopped at a 5 1/2!!! I believe that convenience was on her mind that day....and as for the last pregnancy I experienced, we had so many problems even conceiving and then i went into premature labor at 30 wks with very stubborn contractions that were breaking through every med known to stop them!!! Here I began to have major pain and lose my vision and the doctor says, we checked your blood count and it has dropped i think you uterus is rupturing. We can wait, and if we do, I will perform an amniocentesis to see if there is any infection in the uterus or we can go now and perform an emergenvy c-section. Giving all the risks of both procedures we were left to decide and felt that we had to choose one or the other. Well, knowing that amnio had the risk of death to my unborn child we opted for the c-section where when they got it nothing was wrong with my uterus and I now had a 10 wk premature baby that was fighting for his life!!! DOn't get me wrong...I think things happen for reasons that we aren't always aware of but I truly think that things could have been very different in all of those situations if there had been less of the "convenient care" and more of the kind that I truly needed in my birthing process! I completely agree with the need to educate ourselves so that we can do the best we can for our babies and ourselves as we bring life into this world....however, it is becoming increasingly more difficult to do the things that are best for yourself and your unborn child as the medical field is making those choices more and more their choices and not ours! For example....I have found another doctor since the birth of my last child and have discussed his policies and my hopes for what type of birth that i would like to have if we decided to have another child. He said that he would be supportive of a VBAC after the 2nd cesarean but the hospitals have made policies that won't allow for it and for him to have rights at these hospitals he has to adhere to their guidelines. Our insurance only covers certain hospitals and certain doctors and it seems as if those don't allow VBAC they require c-sections after there has been one and most certainly after 2! So how do we work around doing what;s best for ourselves and what the medical community deems best for us??? It is so frustrating because it feels as if they are in control no matter what and you'll have to give if you want to be taken care of in a hospital and it is only because it is more CONVENIENT for them!!!!okay I think i am done now......
Cam, you bring up the valuable point that education is key to a more positive birth experience. Unfortunatly, many women look back upon their birth experiences with regret/frustruation. I often have women take my HypnoBirthing classes after they have had unwanted and even questionable interventions during the births of their babies. What is the saying? Hindsight is 20/20. If women will take childbirth education classes and read up, they can advocate for themselves more effectively to prevent the feeling that interventions are being imposed upon them. Thanks for reading! Also, don't give up on the possibility of a VBAC. While it is true that some hospitals have policies which prevent women from having VBAC, policies can be changed. Writing a letter to your hospital administration letting them know that you will be birthing elswhere (ie. taking your insurancwe money elswhere) until they consider more mother friendly options is a much more powerful tool than many women realize. It only takes about 4 letters on file to get the board to review their policy. Good Luck!
Uh hello! Can I spell? I meant to say "insurance" not "insurancwe"
Post a Comment