At approximately 3:00 this morning I was awakened by a very loud crash downstairs. I'm hard of hearing, and a very deep sleeper. So I knew the crash had to be pretty loud in order to wake me up. However, trying to be reasonable, I thought, "Maybe I'm just hearing things. I'll wait and see if I hear more." Within a few seconds I heard another crash. This time, I could tell it was a person moving around downstairs. I immediately jumped out of bed. My heart was pounding, and I thought "What should I do?" I picked up the phone and found there was still a dial tone. I started to dial 911, but then I thought about my children. If I called 911, surely the person downstairs would hear? Perhaps I had better get the children into my room with the door locked before I call.
Just then I noticed Nya, my 7 year old daughter was already in my room sleeping beside me. So, I only had to get Corbin, my 4 year old son. This was an easy task because he has the closest bedroom to mine. I thought I could hear the person starting up the stairs now, so I quickly dashed across the hall. To my horror, Corbin was nowhere to be found! "OH NO," I thought. "He must have gone down to check out the noise!"
Terrified, I decided to flip on the lights. Maybe that would scare the theif away. I flipped on the light in Corbins room, grabbed a hanger, (what was I going to do with that?) and headed for the stairs. I could hear the person bumping into the wall as they ascended the stairs. I quietly crept down the hall and flipped on the light over the stairs. Then I jumped out ready to defend my children to the death. I looked around wildly for the culprit, until I saw my son sitting on the stairs. "Mom, where is my squirt gun? I can't find it," he asked. Apparently during his sleep he woke up with a hunkering for a water fight.
I can now say I have unfortunately joined the ranks of women who have shrieked at their child. I quickly put Corbin back to bed, and went back to bed myself. With adrenalin coursing through my veins, it was almost light out before I fell asleep. Nya, of course woke me up at 7:00 sharp. I think we are going shopping for Pit Bulls and Security Alarms today. Who knows? I may pick up child restraints while I'm at it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Naughty Corbin! I'm amazed at how much he has changed. The last time we saw him, he was soooo quiet and shy. Things have changed!
Did he ever find his squirt gun? Have you boughten child restraints yet? I'm sure they make them with cute little stuffed animal heads so they don't look so... you know.
Amazing how many thoughts can run through your mind in such a short and terrifying time!!
You had me convinced that you were super mom... even if it was just a hanger you were wielding a hanger!
What a crazy thing! That Corbin will surely be missed in sacrament! He sure is a busy boy! Nicholas once ran down the street when he was 2 and I didn't know where he was! Crazy the things that run threw your head when that adrinelin is pumping! I went out and bought some new locks for my doors the next day!
that's funny that you automatically thought it was a theif in the night. my first thought when things like that happen is "ok...which child could it be and what are they doing?"...but then i have to say that i would probably proceed to wait in anxiety until the child came and got me or the the thief in the night killed me!!! hehehehe isn't life fun?!?
Love the new background!
I knew you could figure it out!
That must have been so scary! When things like that happen my mind gets going super fast and I think of every possible crazy thing that might happen.
Post a Comment