My project is for school. I decided to see which laundry soap would work the best, store bought or home made. To make the home made laundry soap we needed some ingredients. What we needed were different kinds of soap, hot water, a cheese grater, and a bucket.

Next I grated one bar of soap. When there was just a little soap left in my hand, I looked inside the grater and there was a big pile of soap.


Then we put the soap into a pot of 4 cups of hot water.

I stirred until it was just bubbles.

Then we got out a bucket and filed it with 3 gallons of water, 1/2 cup Borax, and 1 cup Washing Soda. After that we stirred it.
After I finished stirring it, we got two white shirts. Then we put mustard all over them. We washed one with store bought detergent. We washed the other with our home made detergent.

We marked the shirts on their tags with a "T" for Tide and an "H" for home. Here are our results. . .
The home made detergent didn't clean off the mustard. Neither did the Tide.

In conclusion, both detergents worked the same. They both smelled good, but the mustard was still there. My mom is going to have to use bleach!

9 comments:
What a cool project! Was it for science fair? I'm surprised the Tide didn't get the mustard out.
Regina, actually this was just a class assignment Nya had. The assignment was pretty loose. The kids were able to choose whether they wanted to do an experiment, art project, writing project, or what. Nya chose to take the scientific route. Actually, I'm shocked, but I think the mustard was actually a little brighter on the Tide shirt! Apparently, home made laundry detergent works well. Plus, it's a little greener since you can reuse the container again and again. (Not to mention cheaper!)
i think that is so great!!! I do think that homemade laundry soap looks like a lot of work...i will stick to Tide from the shelf at the grocery store! My favorite part was " looks like my mom needs to use some bleach"....you live, you learn, right?
by the way....tell Nya I love the shirt! It looks so cute on her...
abileThanks for sharing this with all of us. What a neat test and so informative to all of us. I think there is a very good reason Tide is a good seller ( It is already Mame) Alot less work for the user and make more money for those makiing and selling Tide.
BUT this sure was a interesting experiment for you to show us.
Love you Nys, Grandps Whitesides
Very cool info here Nya! Thanks for letting us all check out your project. Did you come up with this by yourself? Is so, very creative thinking!
What a fun class assignment! Bleach it is!
What a perfect project for Nya! Good job Nya! So what was Brian's reaction to the mustard stained shirts? I can only imagine.
Thanks for linking my giveaway!
That is a super fun project! I love when schools do that. Brin is doing an egg drop today. They were suppose to make a container that will hold on egg safely. The VP then drops all the eggs of the roof and they see whose egg survives. Pretty fun!
Post a Comment