Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Eeek! I'm Naked! (or at least it feels that way)

A few months ago, Nya came home and asked the question I have been dreading since the ultrasound confirmed she was a girl. The conversation went something like this:

Nya "Mom can I start wearing makeup?" (Every hair on the back of my neck was standing straight up. I felt adrenaline begin coursing through my veins, but I had to remain calm.)

Me "Nope. Why?"

Nya "Some of the girls in my class wear makeup."

Me "That's demented. You're in 2nd grade. Ask me again in 5 years."

Nya "But you wear makeup. Why can't I?"

Me "Ugh! Because I'm 32 and you're 8."

Nya "You're soo mean."

Me "I know. Besides, you don't need makeup. You're beautiful just the way you are."

O.K. so I have to admit I walked right into this one. Nya can argue better than all the lawyers in the world put together. I should have known she would come up with something like this.

Nya "You don't need makeup either. You're beautiful too." I responded by telling her that the discussion was over. She stormed off to her room muttering about hating her mom.

While I was NOT about to budge on the makeup thing, I must admit she got me thinking. Why do I feel the need to wear makeup? After some reflection, I realized she was right. (Not about wanting to wear makeup). What she was right about, is the fact that I don't need makeup.

I have not gone out in public without makeup for approximately 20+ years now. Those of you who know me best, know that I am a bit of a makeup addict. It used to take me hours to get ready for the day. By the time I was ready, the day was almost over. Now, thanks to motherhood, it takes me about 30 minutes (15 for makeup, 15 for hair). However, seven days a week at 15 minutes a day calculates to almost 2 hours a week I spend on makeup alone. Which means I'm spending roughly 8 hours a month, and 96 hours a year just applying makeup.

Realizing that I am losing out on 96 hours of valuable life in front of a mirror, coupled with the fact that I am not modeling very sensible behavior for my daughter, led me to one conclusion. If I don't want Nya to be a slave to makeup, I must set the example. I want for my daughter to have a positive self image without makeup. I also worry about the messages our young girls get from the media about beauty and body image. Check out this video by Dove. It's pretty eye opening. http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/beauty

Anyway, ever notice how your kids will pay perfect attention when you admit to wrong doing? I have. I also know that when Nya is really passionate about something she can become irrational. In order to have this conversation be effective, I wanted Nya thinking with her frontal lobe.

So, I walked into her room and said, "Nya, I was wrong." That got her attention. "You mean I get to wear makeup?"
"No," I responded, "I mean I am going to stop wearing makeup. (Except for church on Sunday or other special occasions)." Nya thought about it for a minute and said, "Good for you mom. You really don't need it." The conversation hasn't come up since. In the future I'm sure it will but now I'm ready. Whew!

So, the next day, true to my word, I did not put on my makeup. I had alot of errands to run, so it was difficult for me. As I walked into various stores, I was really nervous. I half expected people to run away shrieking. No one said a word. I even bumped into a friend and she said nothing. I did notice Corbin's preschool teacher stealing a few curious glances, but she didn't look scared.
I decided that the true test would be to find out what someone who loves me thought, since people outside of my family wouldn't have the nerve to say anything. When Brian came home, I was prepared for him to comment. To my suprise he said nothing. After the kids were in bed, I finally asked him about it. He responded with, "You're not wearing makeup? Huh, I couldn't tell."

Now Brian is all about saving money. So, if he thinks this is going to cut makeup costs, then he is on board. On the otherhand, he does care about appearances. So I don't think he'd let me make a fool of myself if we were say, going to a restaurant and he really thought I looked bad without makeup. However, he says he really can't tell much of a difference. He did think my eyes looked a little smaller. All in all the experience was sort of anti climatic. It has now been about 3 months that I haven't been wearing makeup.
If I had known it would be this easy, I would have done it years ago! I love how much faster it is to get ready for the day now. Also, one positive side effect that I did not anticipate, is that my self image has improved. While I don't think I look like a model or anything, I am comfortable with the way I look. In fact, putting on makeup for church has become a bit of a nusance. Perhaps one of these days I'll darken the door completely unfettered.

In the mean time, I just hope Nya doesn't get the idea that she needs to start shaving her legs. . .

13 comments:

Holly Lin said...

wow, Maran.
I am REALLY impressed!
I am like you...I just don't go out in public without it. What's funny, I saw that photo of you and thought.."sheesh, she's gorgeous" and I didn't realize you weren't wearing make up until I read the post.
You pull it off great...I don't think I could. But hey, it could just be a paradigm.

Good for you!!

Jen said...

Good thing I have boys, cause you couldn't pay me to go into public with out makeup. Thanks to my genes, I have freckled, scarred, zitty, red blotchy skin. And I have some unsightly chin hairs, on top of that. I will go to the drive through at the bank with out makeup. You are brave. And by the way you really don't need makeup, you are gorgeous with out it! I love your hair long!

Regina said...

You amaze me! I am one that has been wearing makeup for 20+ years and couldn't imagine leaving my house without it. Yes, I feel naked without it! You do look great without it! Wish I could be that self-assured about myself without the makeup! Maybe someday...I think this conversation with Nya is one of many!! Good luck!

Maran said...

I bet any one of you would look fantastic without makeup! It just takes a little getting used to seeing yourself that way. I still feel a little plain standing next to someone whose totally decked out!Positive self talk has helped alot. Also, the Dove video really opened my eyes to how distorted our perceptions of beauty have become.

Kristen said...

Oh, I love Saturdays for that reason. I don't like to wear makeup and very excited that once the little guy comes, I won't have to put makeup because I'll be working from home. My question is, how can you stand to spend 15 minutes doing makeup? I can only spend 5 minutes flat. It's not worth giving up the sleeping time for me.

Cami said...

Charles says that its all good as long as you don't stop shaying your legs!!! You should write books...you are a very gifted writer. I think the whole dove thing helped add to the cause as well.....now you understand the freedom that your little sister has tried to enjoy for all that she can. You are absolutely gorgeous and you wow me with the example that you are for your children and those whom you associate with!

Cami said...

oops! that was supposed to be shaving.....not shaying!!!

Mary-Laure said...

Love that conversation with your daughter. Its just INSANE that some parents will let their 8-year-olds wear makeup.

The Haley Family said...

that is so awesome!! I was only wearing make up about 3 days a week before I started, but because I was being lazy. I am very self conscience when I don't wear makeup, and I don't want Ella to be that way.

Interestingly enough, I am not going to wear eye makeup to work today (eye infection) and see what people say. I know the kids will notice!

Thanks for the inspiration! I remember the Rick's days of time in the bathroom! :)

Kudos to you!

Maran said...

Alison, I bet your students won't even care! I'd love to hear an update on how it goes.

Aneesa Bee said...

Maran,
You are beautiful--I've always thought so, and personally, not to be offensive, but I think you look even BETTER without makeup. I think most people look better without makeup--Regina and Holly, I think you would too. Of course, I'm a little biased--I've never worn more than mascara, firstly because I never had anyone show me how, and mostly because I'm cheap and lazy (or time-challenged, whichever you prefer). I'm glad Nya helped you take the leap!! Here's to naked faces everywhere. Hear Hear!!!

Aneesa Bee said...

oops, I just realized that Holly is someone that I don't know. But, hey, maybe you should try it anyway!!
Aneesa

Courtney said...

i totally laughed when you said you would take hours getting ready. I remember those days. I love make up, I think I got that from you :). But i love the natural 5 min face look. I do not wear make up to work out though. I loved your conversation with Nya. It reminded me of my girls. Girls are so emotional! :)