Monday, December 8, 2008

Monday Munchies - Wheatgrass and Green Drinks

After Thanksgiving I decided to reflect upon my health as of recent months. Since we moved, we no longer have a garden. Also, groceries are WAY more expensive here. So, in order to accommodate our budget, I have begun including foods in my diet that I previously didn't eat. (ie. cold cereal, a variety of meats, and more refined carbs.)


I think Thanksgiving and the meals surrounding it finally called my attention to the fact that my health has been going downhill as a result of these new additions. To put it simply. . . I have felt like crap.


So in an effort to reaffirm my dedication to good health and hopefully greater longevity, I have decided to start posting "Monday Munchies." Each week I will be sharing tidbits about my trials and errors, my latest health interests, recipes, etc. I am also looking for ways to cut costs on my previously vegetarian diet. This way I can resume it guilt-free!

I know there are only about 5 of you who actually read my blog, but please feel free to share anything food/health/exercise/grocery shopping related. I would love to hear what works for you and your friends/family.
*Lurkers- I am happy to make new friends. If you have anything to add, please do so!

This week: I wanted to share a green drink recipe from a great vegetarian book called "Original Fast Foods." It's a book written from an LDS perspective. My entire family loves this drink. (Even Brian enjoys it!) It's a tasty way to incorporate fresh greens into your diet. Corbin and Nya will actually fight over this one! We usually have it for breakfast.
Green Smoothie:

4 c. Spinach, Kale, or other green leafy (if you have a small blender, reduce the greens by a little.)

2 Bananas

1 c. other fruit of your choice (These can be fresh or frozen.) You may have to reduce these as well, depending on your blender size. Hint #1: Blueberries and Blackberries will turn the drink a murky purple. This may help if your family doesn't like the green color. Hint #2 Oranges taste pretty nasty in this. I'd avoid them for this drink.

2 c. Juice (I prefer to use apple juice without any added sugar. For a special treat, Old Orchard makes an Apple, Mango, Passion juice that is divine with this recipe.) It's a concentrate, so you have to mix it separately in a pitcher and then pour what you need into the blender. It does contain a lot of sugar though, so be careful.

Instructions:

Put your greens in a blender. Next add your bananas and other fruit. Last, add juice. I usually make sure I have enough juice to cover everything else. Then blend and enjoy! You can blend to your preference. I like chunky, but my family prefers it really smooth. It's up to you.

Wheat Grass: My second agenda item is Wheat Grass. I have had great success sprouting alfalfa, and various lentils. However, for some reason, I can never get luscious wheat grass. This is what I want:
Unfortunately, this is not what I end up with. Typically nothing happens.
I have used soil, sprouting trays, even newspaper. I usually soak for 12 hours. Then rinse about every 8 hours. Have any of you ever sprouted wheat grass? I'd love to know what works for you. Wheat grass is high in antioxidants, vitamin C, and protein. It'd be great to have a healthy crop. I am determined to figure this one out.

11 comments:

Holly said...

Maran, I love your smoothie recipe and ever since you had told me about it, that is how I prepare mine. My kids have no clue that they are drinking something good for them. Thank you!

Regina said...

Not sure if I could be any help. I'm one of the crazy people that shop with ads and buy what's on sale and my kids eat cold cereal. Sorry! But good luck anyways!

Aneesa Bee said...

I had bad luck with wheat sprouting too--sorry! But I'm going to make smoothies tomorrow for breakfast. Thanks!! I even had some spinach that needs to get used up.

Maran said...

Darn! When I posted this I thought,"Aneesa will know what to do." If you and I have both had a hard time, wheat grass must not be as easy as 'they' say it is. I'm holding out hope though, I read yesterday it can take up to 6 days to sprout, so I'm dutifully watering.

Kristen said...

I think I'll make this tonight for Jason to try :)

The Haley Family said...

I guess I should try it! Send me an email, or post it on my blog and I'll invite you to my 'girls only' private blog for weightloss, goals, etc!

I have been having cracked wheat each morning lately and it is so good! I put it (hard wheat and water) in my mini crockpot at night and in the morning it is all ready to eat! So healthy and SO cheap!

Cami said...

okay so the picture of crap really distracted from the wholesome benefit of your green drink!!! hey, i'll ask jamba juice how they do it for ya!!! lol......that is a great idea for your post and i like that you can try it and then i can go from there.....tehehehehehe. Love ya sis!!! How was your birthday by the way?

Maran said...

Alison, thanks so much for sharing your cracked wheat idea. I have alot of oatmeal in the morning, but I've never tried cracked wheat. Great idea for using food storage as well! I'm trying it tonight.

Cami said...

cracked wheat is the best....i love the texture and it is so yummy!!! have you ever tried whole wheat chili....vegetarian style of course.....so good!!! let me know if you need a recipe:)

Maran said...

Cam, I'd love a recipe. Thanks!

Jen said...

Um, yeah.... I feel a little out of place here. I plan on having 10 pieces of bacon, a doughnut, and some good ol Captain Crunch for breakfast, tomorrow. I believe my poo will look similar to pile of poo you have pictured. Lovely!