Since then, I have developed a great appreciation for spicy foods. In fact, I was very disappointed a couple weeks ago. I tried the supposed "Dragon Sauce" at a local restaurant in our town. They claim it's soo hot you'll breathe fire! Unfortunately, there wasn't even a spark.Anyway, for the past few weeks I have been craving tamales. I think my brain has just been saying "It's Christmas. Time to eat tamales." In New Mexico, you can find them everywhere from the grocery store parking lot (women will come up and ask if you want to buy them) to church dinners. Here, I don't have that luxury. So today I made Tamales myself.
Nya helped, and we ended up with around 6 dozen (not including the ones we scarfed down as soon as they were done steaming!) We made 3 kinds: extra spicy pork in red chile sauce, vegetarian with corn, green chile's, and cheese, and mild ones for the kids.
Now that I have had a few tamales it really feels like Christmas. It has also made me a little homesick for New Mexico. It's a place so rich with tradition and culture! I feel very blessed to have lived there.
I think I am going to start making tamales every year at Christmas from now on.

6 comments:
Sounds like a great tradition to me! I love tamales! I have never learned how to make them. It's a rare treat to have when I'm visiting my in-laws.
It was nice to talk to you the other day. I am so happy that you made the Tamales. Good for you! I bet they are delicious.
YUM! We learned how to make them for a cooking class for enrichment one night this summer! We have new members that are Native American and they teach us so much!
THANKS!!
Maran!!! We just had a demo in R.S. last week, and I bought all the ingredients. Apparently, in Mexico, they always eat tamales on Christmas eve--so I told Aaron that is our new tradition. I think that is SO funny that we both are on the same track on this one. When we moved here, I went through tamale withdrawal--but then I found a local TACO BUS. Still, they're kind of pricey. I'll let you know how mine turn out!
i want some of those vegetarian ones.....yummy!!! that is an awesome tradition and you should keep it. keep a little of everywhere that you have been and lived and pretty soon you will have years full of wonderful family traditions that your kids can keep and keep on addin' to as well!!! you will have to teach me how to make those next time we are together....love ya!
Okay, I just had to tell you that my tamales turned out FABULOUS!!!! We are making them on Christmas Eve from now on too.
Aneesa
Post a Comment