Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dr. Phil Show

O.K. so I just found out that Dr. Phil is going to be having a show about "alternative birthing methods." I never watch the show, but this has peaked my interrest. I went to his website, and they are still looking for people to bring on the show. One of the "alternative methods" they are investigating is HypnoBirthing.

Years ago, after having a painful (and quite lengthy) unmedicated birth with Nya, I found HypnoBirthing. I can honestly say that Corbin's birth was completely painless. (As well as fast.) I know people who haven't learned about HypnoBirthing often think it sounds a little crazy. I used to try to explain the method to friends because it worked so well for me. I wanted my friends to have the same comfort during their births that I had.

Now, after becoming trained to teach this method, I have been able to witness some of my students having the same success I did. Luckily, Grand Junction seems to be very open. I haven't even advertised yet, and have had full classes. Anyway, for those of you who are still interrested in having more children, I highly recommend looking into HypnoBirthing. It can change your life. (I have the website listed on my sidebar;)

At the very least, keep your eye out for this episode of the Dr. Phil show. I'm really hoping they will bring Marie Mongan, founder of HypnoBirthing, onto the show. She is truly amazing! I hope this show will be a catalyst for moms who otherwise wouldn't have, to give natural childbirth a shot. For those of you who are already into natural childbirth, I know the show is also looking for homebirth moms to bring on. Hopefully they will present an unbiased show that will truly benefit the audience and increase awareness.

9 comments:

The Haley Family said...

I'll have to pass info along to my sisters...they are not done having kids...but I am pretty sure we are. Ella's labor was the longest...and my epidural wasn't very effective!!

I am intrigued!

Jen said...

Sorry to say, but I'm a whimp. I loved the epideral. Infact I professed my love to the guy that gave me my very first epideral when I was in labor with Cody. "I love you man!"

However, I do highly admire anyone that can go through labor and delivery with out any pain relieving meds!

Maran said...

I understand the fear women have of pain during birth. Believe me, I am a total wimp!! However, if you could be comfortable without the medication, wouldn't you want to?? The point of HypnoBirthing is that you are comfortable without pain meds.
I've personally attended births with women whom if you didn't know any better you would swear they had an epidural. They are relaxed, calm, and having everyday conversations in between their surges.(contractions)
Twenty-five percent of moms who utilize HypnoBirthing say that they experienced NO pain at all. The other 75% say that they were much more comfortable than they otherwise would have been.
My problem with epidurals (I mean besides the possible side effects for mom and baby) Is that they don't always work.

Several of the moms I have taught in my classes have had previous births with epidurals only to find out to their horror, scar tissue had built up and the epidural didn't numb them. Then they have the unfortunate circumstance of giving birth naturally without having prepared for it, AND paying for an epidural which they recieved no benefits from.
All I'm saying is that it doesn't hurt anything to give it a try.

Holly said...

Yes, I finished the Eclipse today and realized it was sunday and couldnt go out and buy it today! I am going to the store in the morning to start. I am excited for the Twilight movie too. It looks way good. Ahh, what would we do without wizards and vampires??LOL.

Aneesa Bee said...

So tell me why you haven't signed up to be on the show? I think you would do GREAT!!! I'll plan on having you represent me, all right? And I have to put in my plug for natural childbirth, I've had an epidural, and I have to say I prefer to actually feel what my body is going through, even if it is more work, and more uncomfortable! The work is worth it!

Rachel Clare said...

Maran, will you email me when this show comes on? I would love to watch it. Gotta start practicing again- if nothing else, it's SO DANG RELAXING.

How are you guys?

PS. Maran's last paragraph was ME. And, I'll never do an epidural again. I'm all over the Hypnobirthing idea!!

Maran said...

I've actually had a few moms now who have experienced that. It's so unfortunate. They have all found themselves caught up in the Fear, Tension, Pain cycle we discuss in class.

By the way, I had an awesome experience attending the birth of one of my students babies. She had had a previous ceserean and wanted a vaginal birth. She called me at 8AM and told me that she "wasn't having contractions, but something was happening." I asked her to describe it, and she said she was having these strange "wave-like" sensations. She said they were "not painful." I asked her how far apart they were, and she said every "15 minutes only lasting for about 15-30 seconds." She felt that she should go to the hospital because she was having "alot of pressure down low." When they put her on a monitor, they found that her surges were in fact 4-5 min apart lasting 60 seconds. She was 5cm. The nurse was absolutely shocked at how relaxed the mom was. Mom was complete within 6 hours, and had her happy, vaginal birth. I personally loved it when she was 9cm, looks up and smiles at me and asks, "Maran, do you need anything? We could get you a sandwhich or drink or something."

To me, this was HypnoBirthing defined. . .a mom, almost complete and ready to give birth, able to talk, still smiling and relaxed. One of our slogans is "Taking the birthing world by calm."

Courtney said...

I am just glad we are done having kids. My last pregnancy was really hard but the birth was fab. Hello the 4th one and all I had to do was cough and the baby came out.

Holly Lin said...

Hey!
You know, I'd be all up for learning a new technique. I only plan on having one more. But the "ring of fire" I experienced with Haiden... well... I'm not willing to go through that again.
Please let us know when the show will air. I don't watch much TV in the afternoon - but I'd definitely tune it for that one!

It's been a while since you've posted... you must be super busy!?

Love
Holly